How do you know if your child is ready for preschool? Since preschool can be viewed as less academically rigid than K-12, it can be difficult to know if your child is “on track” and ready for their first venture into the classroom. So, we’ve put together a “Preschool Readiness Checklist” for you, to highlight some of the skills and milestones that your child should have so that they can get the most out of their preschool education.
- Can your child effectively communicate with others? Preschoolers don’t need to be perfect orators, but it will be necessary for them to engage with their classmates and, especially, their teacher. If your child is shy or non-verbal, that’s fine! But it’s important that they have a way of clearly telling their teacher what they need, even if it’s by non-conventional means.
- Can your child play independently? If they are used to only playing with the help of someone older, it may be difficult for them to adjust to the more independent play style of preschool. To prepare them for this, encourage them to use their imagination while playing, and allow them to engage with toys and games by themselves without interference.
- Can your child confidently be away from you for multiple hours? It’s perfectly normal for there to be some separation anxiety during these years, but being able to separate from parents for a few hours and still enjoy themselves is important for getting the most out of preschool.
- Is your child able to listen to and follow along with simple directions and rules? For example, being told to take off a coat and hang it up, being asked to share toys or disengage with an activity, and being asked to quiet down for nap time are all things that your child may be required to do during preschool.
- Does your child generally get along with other children of similar age? Preschool places a focus on playing, working, and learning together, so it’s important that your child is able to play gently, share, and speak politely to their peers. But don’t worry, some shyness is normal and expected – your child will be able to warm up slowly to their classmates!
Download the Preschool Readiness Checklist in a Printable PDF
Your Kid is Ready for Kids Corner Preschool
If your child doesn’t meet all of the items on this checklist, that’s fine – we’re willing to work with you and your child to ensure they have a comfortable transition into the classroom. Call Kid’s Corner at (480)-267-9427 for Gilbert or (480)-267-9419 for Mesa to learn more about enrolling your child in preschool.